Even though there are many historically significant sights in Lake George, there are also a number of important ones located no more than an hour’s drive, including those from the cities of Bolton, Bolton Landing, Ticonderoga, and Glens Falls.BOLTONA Brief drive from Lake George Village on Route 9N is the town of Bolton.
For more information click here
Characterized by rolling hills and steep hills, which are part of the Kayaderosseras Range, the Town of Bolton comprises 26.7 of Lake George’s 44 square kilometers and the vast majority of its islands.Early settlers were pioneering New Englanders from the likes of Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire, who transported their ancestral possessions on foot and at oxen caravans and planted their initial roots in what became the Lake George Valley. Conflicts and danger lurked in the space from hostile Indians, predatory animals, and the battles raged within the Indian and French and American Revolution wars.Farms and families attracted structure and stability to the Bolton wilderness between 1786 and 1790. Fields were cleared. Homes were constructed of logs. Crops, like grains, wheat, corn, and rye, sprouted in the ground, and pine, maple, and spruce trees were trimmed mills, whose electricity was provided by five chief brooks.Disappendaged from Thurman in 1799, Bolton, with a population of approximately 900, assumed autonomous township status. By the turn of the 19th century, the region’s beauty began to attract tourists, to whom a proliferation of lodges and resorts catered in the summertime, and its availability significantly improved with the 1817 debut of steamboat services on the lake.Bolton Landing, another hamlet, was established from the late-1800s because its deeper water could adapt ever-larger steamboats. Both lake and rail travel eased seasonal tourism, especially of the wealthy, who initially frequented grand hotels, but ultimately bought their very own tracts of lakeshore land. Stretching ten miles from Caldwell to Bolton Landing, they quickly affirmed summer mansions, making the present”Millionaires’ Row” designation.Two sights offer deeper glimpses into the area.Situated on Main Street and placed in an 1890 church deeded to the City of Bolton in 1967 by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany, the Bolton Historical Museum was granted a charter from the New York State Education Department three years later on July 31.”Our mission is to educate townspeople and visitors to the history of Bolton, Lake George, and the surrounding area,” according to the museum. “The museum displays extensive collections of regional artifacts and memorabilia and we host a summer lecture series together with the Darrin Fresh Water Institute in Bolton Landing.”The Sagamore:The Sagamore Resort is an opulent, amenity-abundant, lakeside complex with deep historical roots.Tracing its origins to 1883, it took first idea form when resort operator Myron O. Brown was inspired to build an exclusive resort community in the Adirondacks. Together with four Philadelphia millionaires, who had spent their summers from stately mansions on the lake’s western shore, he bought Green Island and formed The Green Island Improvement Company.Twice fire-damaged, in 1893 and 1914, it had been rebuilt in 1930, but continued to serve guests such as Vice President Richard M. Nixon and Governor Thomas E. Dewey, who presided over the 1954 National Governor’s Conference.Yet changing conditions and clientele triggered the property’s gradual decline and disrepair, leading to its permanent closure in 1981. But”permanent” here translated into just two decades. Marking its centennial, builder and property developer Norman Wolgin of Philadelphia acquired it and restored it to its former glory.”The Sagamore Resort on Lake George is a landmark resort with a prestigious history that dates back to the 1880s,” in accordance with the resort. “Secluded on a private 70-acre island just 60 miles north of Albany, The Sagamore has hosted households, celebrities, and dignitaries alike with their signature hospitality established over a century ago by Myron O. Brown. Together with an inspiring setting in the heart of the Adirondacks, our historic enclave offers elegant lakeside lodging, award-winning dining… and a commitment to making remarkable guest experiences daily. With an unmatched choice of land and water activities to enjoy at your leisure, The Sagamore is a year-round Lake George resort ideal for family vacations, weekend gateways, and one-of-a-kind events”Its amenities are numerous: 392 rooms at the historic hotel, lodges, castle, and the Hermitage Building; a 70-acre island location; eight lounges and restaurants; an 18-hole Donald Ross-designed golf course; the Opal Spa and Salon; four tennis courts; a gym and wellness classes; the 95,000-gallon outside Infinity pool; a 10,000-square-foot diversion centre; and 90-minute cruises on its own 72-foot vessel,”The Morgan.”